A Windows Vista based computer may show black screen unexpectedly without any text or error printed on it. It is one of the sign of critical state of your computer.
Here are the methods to prevent and fix Black Screen in Vista:
1. Delete the Event Logs
2. Delete the Registry Junk
3. Uninstall the Non-Working Driver
4. Uninstall Recent Updates
5. Restore the System
Delete the Event Logs
Corrupted event logs display black screen in Vista. You can rename the original log directory and create a new log directory to fix the problem.
1. Click Start.
2. Type Command Prompt in the Search box.
3. Right click it from the Search Results, and select Run ad Administrator option.
4. Enter the following commands:
Ren logs earlier_logs
5. Close Command Prompt after completion.
6. Restart the computer.
Delete the Registry Junk
The incorrect and invalid registry entries cause black screen in Vista. You can fix this problem by deleting the registry junk using third party registry cleaner software.
Download a Registry Cleaner application, and click Start Scan button. Follow its instructions.
Uninstall the Non-Working Driver
Black screen in Vista may occurs at the time it is started up. It may be the reason that a driver that your operating system is trying to load at startup is encountering a problem and cannot be loaded. Uninstall such type of drivers.
1. Boot your computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 key before the boot process starts.
2. Select Safe Mode with Networking option and press ENTER.
3. Click Start button on the Taskbar.
4. Type Device Manager and press ENTER.
5. Expand your computer name, and right click any driver that is not working properly. Select Uninstall option.
Note: You can identify an appropriate non working driver by the yellow explanatory mark before its name.
Uninstall Recent Updates
If you have recently installed any new updates, they might be not working properly. To fix Windows Vista black screen, uninstall the recently installed updates as shown below:
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Click Programs.
3. Click View Installed Updates in the Programs and Features category.
4. Select a newly installed update, and click Uninstall button.
5. Follow the wizard.
6. Restart the computer after uninstalling the recently installed updates.
Restore the System
Try restoring your system to an earlier. Using System Restore, fix black screen in Vista as shown below:
1. Click Start.
2. Type System Restore and press ENTER.
3. Follow its instructions.
Fix Black Screen in Vista – Tips That Resolve Windows Vista Black Screen Problem
Last Updated on April 13, 2022